Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Lentil Soup

I'm also testing this one for the festival of trees cookbook. It was really good. Very flavorful.

1 lb sausage, browned and drained
2 cups lentils, washed
1 onion, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/2 cup carrot, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tbsp parsley
1 tbsp salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp pepper
2 quarts water

2 cups tomatoes, diced (V8 juice can be used)
2 tbsp red wine vinegar


In a large pot, combine sausage, lentils, onion, celery, carrot, garlic, parsley, salt, oregano, pepper, and water. Simmer for 1 1/2 hrs. Then add tomatoes and vinegar. Cook another 15 min. Serve and enjoy!

I cheated and used canned great northern beans. I used 3 cups instead. I used V8 juice but my mom said she would have done tomatoes. Maybe try half and half? It was much faster this way. I should try it the real way when I have time. I used the regular country style fresh ground sausage. Rob liked it but wasn't crazy about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment