Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Pudding Cake

I've made this twice now and have yet to make it right. It's going to be so good when I finally do. I'm testing it for someone for the festival of trees cookbook.

1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup nuts, optional
1/2 cup raisins, optional

3 cups water
3 tbsp butter
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar

Mix flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking soda, salt, milk, 1 tbsp butter, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, nuts and raisins together to make batter. Spread batter in a deep baking bowl. Make syrup by boiling water, remaining butter, remaining sugar, and brown sugar together until dissolved. Pour syrup over batter. Bake at 350 for 45 min OR 375 for 30 min. Serve hot with whipped cream or icecream.


The first time I burnt it--I thought I read AND 375 for 30 min. The second time, I realized I was doing the syrup wrong. I thought that the water had to pretty much dissolve until it became the consistancy of syrup. I really means until the sugars are dissolved which happens really quickly. So my syrup was mostly pretty crunchy. My family still liked it but it's going to be so creamy and gewy next time! And don't over cook it just because it looks that way. The cake underneath the gew is cooked. Also I didn't use nuts and raisins of course. :) This was (should be) a pretty easy homemade cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment